Re: faq.texi

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: faq.texi
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:10:31 +0900

On 2/16/06, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
> I assume you didn't literally
> mean "region" here, but just "section" of text, no?

Yes

> For comparing text sections in two different buffers, I usually select them,
> `C-x n n', and use ediff on them. For sections in the same buffer, I
> sometimes paste one section into a new buffer and do the same.

ediff is the "obvious" method, but it's far too heavyweight, clunky,
and awkward for many cases (to tell the truth, I think ediff is too
clunky and awkward even for comparing files most of the time).  It
would be great to have a simple function that compared two sections of
a buffer and maybe added overlays highlighting the equal/different
bits; perhaps such a function could share some ediff code.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.