Re: faq.texi

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: faq.texi
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 03:48:07 +0200

>     The consistency I meant is for C-y and M-y to have the same non-isearch
>     meaning in isearch mode: for C-y to yank last killed text into the search
>     string, and for M-y to yank earlier kills into the search string.
>
> I'd rather turn off the special meaning of C-y in a search.
> Too many characters have been given special meanings in isearch,
> and that means you can't use them normally when you're in a search.

Either way we should find a replacement keybinding for isearch-yank-line,
and this is not easy.

One way to reduce the isearch controversy is to pick up only one key and
to use it as a prefix key for all isearch commands.  All other keys should
exit the search.  Let's say such a key is `M-s'.  Then possible keybindings:

`M-s C-y' - isearch-yank-kill
`M-s C-e' - isearch-yank-line
`M-s C-f' - isearch-yank-char
`M-s M-f' - isearch-yank-word
`M-s M-f M-f M-f ...' - yank successive words

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/