Re: faq.texi

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: faq.texi
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:44:17 +0900

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Didn't know about compare-windows before...  I just tried it, and while
>     it's possibly the right tool (after getting used to it), it does seem a
>     bit terse
>
> I am not really sure what that means; could you be more specific
> about what change you would like?

I'm not entirely sure, as I'm still getting used to compare-windows, but ...

Currently the point moves to show you where matching has stopped.  To check
where the corresponding point is in the other window, you have to switch
windows, which is a bit cumbersome; it would be nice to see at a glance.

[Nonetheless I'm glad you mentioned this function; I've already found it
very useful.]

> Are you saying you wish it would highlight the matching text that it
> finds each time?

Something like that; given that it already has support for an overlay to
indicate where it skipped over non-matching text, I'm imagining an
extension of that functionality where it would (1) highlight matching text
too (in a different color), and (2) not immediately delete the overlays
(currently the overlay appears to be strictly temporary).

I'm not sure the best way to delete the overlays though, if they were made
longer-lasting.

-Miles
--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products