Re: bootstrap problem with union Lisp_Object

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: bootstrap problem with union Lisp_Object
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 09:43:44 -0500

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Starting the pretest is not the same as making a release.  As others
>     have pointed out, the couple of bugs that are still in FOR-RELEASE can
>     be worked on during the pretest;
>
> LOTS of bugs have been reported in the past two weeks, and I think
> many have not been worked on at all.  We are already out about more
> bugs faster than we are fixing them, and the cause is simple: we are
> not working enough on fixing them.  To help us move towards a release,
> please fix some of these bugs!

As Kim has mentioned, it is unclear what bugs you are referring to.
There are only a couple of bugs listed in FOR-RELEASE.  The bugs in
emacs-pretest-bug, which are usually minor problems, get fixed at
about the same rate as they are being reported, i.e. after a few days.
Maybe the reason you have the idea that bugs aren't being fixed
because developers sometimes don't send a follow-up email to the list
when they check their fix into CVS.

Because CVS Emacs is already widely used, there is going to be a
constant stream of bug reports/feature requests.  Without a more
explicit and reasonable criteria for the release, the impression
you're sending is that there is no end in sight for the Emacs 22
release process.  This is a severe disincentive to working on Emacs.

Note that most of the other key Emacs developers have chimed in with
similar sentiments in this thread.

> There is also other work in FOR-RELEASE which is just straightforward
> work, rather than debugging.

Can you be more specific about what you're referring to?