Re: Patch that adds help to isearch

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Patch that adds help to isearch
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:22:48 -0500

    Some months ago we discussed help for isearch-forward/backward. I tried
    several alternatives at that time, but did not send in any patch. The
    attached patch is a simple way to give help. It simply defines C-h and
    f1 to call isearch-mode-help

I don't want to make such a change now, and perhaps not ever.  Too
many control characters are special already in isearch.  (I turned off
one of them a couple of months ago.)

    I also found some small errors which I tried to correct. This was
    something with the isearch-ring but I can not remember the details right
    now. I included that also in the patch however.

Can you please separate those bug fixes out
and explain the bugs they fix?

    I renamed search-ring-update to isearch-ring-update which seems more
    consistent. Maybe that should not be done if that breaks something?

I don't want to change these names now.

    BTW I think there may be some useful key definitions missing in the
    help. Could you for example not switch the direction with C-r? Should
    not that be added to the help?

Could you be more specific about the change you mean?