Re: Patch that adds help to isearch

From: LENNART BORGMAN
Subject: Re: Patch that adds help to isearch
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:23:11 +0100

From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>

> What about enabling isearch-mode-help only when the search string
> is empty?
>
> I understand the need to exit the search with C-h when the search
> string is not empty like in the case of `C-s some-function-name C-
> h f RET'
> to call `describe-function' on the found function name.  But I
> don't see
> the need to exit the search with C-h just after C-s as in `C-s C-h f'.
>
> OTOH, I can imagine users (especially novices) after typing C-s
> and seeing
> the prompt `I-search: ' wanting the help about what to do next.
> It is
> natural for them to type C-h in this case to see the Help buffer from
> `isearch-mode-help'.

Thanks for the explanation about why C-h is needed for an experienced user. I
think however that enabling the help only for the state when the search string
is empty would be confusing. I would prefer a defcustom to enable/disable
isearch-mode-help on C-h instead. Could that satisfy experienced users?