Re: make `occur' use word at point as default

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: make `occur' use word at point as default
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:27:35 +0300

> It should be the user's acceptance (via RET) of an input candidate that puts
> an input onto the history list (for use by M-p) - it shouldn't be the mere
> act of Emacs making an input candidate available or the user's looking at a
> candidate via M-n. (I think that's already the case - just wanted to
> emphasize it.)

Yes, and I want to add that if the user types RET with empty input,
then it should put onto the history list not the whole list of default
values, but only the first element of such list, i.e. the same element
that minibuffer-reading functions return.

BTW, currently there is an inconsistency in the `read-from-minibuffer'
function.  Typing RET with empty input after evaluation of:

(read-from-minibuffer "prompt: " nil nil nil nil "default")

adds the string "default" to the history list, even though this function
returns an empty string.  I don't know whether this should be fixed or
maybe it causes no problems.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/