Re: windows-1251 language environment

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: windows-1251 language environment
Date: 16 Oct 2003 12:44:17 -0400

> On my Windows box I have three Japanese environments.  One is for
> TRAMPed files from my Linux host where the coding system is EUC, the
> second is native and Shift-JIS, and the third can be used on either
> with UTF-8.  I also fiddle the coding priority list more generally,
> although I'm not sure that is really needed.  Pretty soon I hope to
> add Korean to the list of needed environments (Japanese serves well
> enough for English and Lisp).

Interesting.
How does this use of multiple language environments work in practice?
I mean, the language environment setting is global, so how does it
interact with the various pre-existing buffers when you switch?

What is changed between those environments other than the preferred coding
system ?

Is this arrangement natural, convenient, and intuitive, or is it more
like a work around for lack of other forms of configurations (such as a way
to specify preferred coding system based on mount-points, for example) ?

        Stefan