Re: windows-1251 language environment

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: windows-1251 language environment
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:21:45 -0400

    Language environments might make sense internally, but I think we should
    encourage people to configure their Emacs by doing:
    - 1st and foremost, set your locale properly, or call
      `set-locale-environment' in your .emacs.

This might make sense if these locale names are effectively standard.
They are not standardized by POSIX.  Is there a de-facto standard?
How widely is it used?

In general, I would prefer to have some Emacs-native way to do set
these things, rather than rely on an external data type such as a
locale name which is not defined naturally in Emacs terms.