Re: info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: info
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:20:08 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?= wrote:

> But still, if RET selects the menu item from the next line, that's
> bad.  Maybe it will help to tell it that text on the same line is
> closer than text on another line?

I don't remember all the intricacies of this, but I do remember that it
is not always easy to decide what menu item to select.  Imagine something
like this menu fragment, for instance:

  * foo: (foo).    Our Foo.
  !
  * bar: (bar).    Your Bar.

with point at the exclam: which item will you choose?

Another complication is that RET works with both menus and xrefs, so if
its code is sufficiently generic (i.e. does not depend too much on what
menus look like), it might need thorough rewrite to be much smarter in
the menu case alone.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to make it work in the most
reasonable fashion inside a menu.  What I'm saying is that solving this
needs to take into account the complications I pointed out, and also that
IMHO we should not change what RET does if it cannot find any link nearby.