Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes
Date: 21 Aug 2002 11:29:00 +0200

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> > Now that the mode-line-position information has been moved
> > from the end of the mode line, and vc-mode is moved there too,
> > the space between the buffer name and the mode-line-modes
> > has become pretty crowded.
>
> > Now, if you enable display-time and display-battery,
> > which adds time and battery status, e.g. 15:57 [95%],
> > to that part of the mode line as well, it's a total mess.
>
> I'd like to display such global information not in the mode
> line but, for instance, at the right end of menu bar, or
> tool bar if they exist.

I had the same thought, but didn't have any clue how to do it.

Actually, when I was working on the MS-DOG port a long time ago
I added the ability to display the time at the far right of
the menu bar.  It worked by writing directly to the relevant
addresses in VGA memory, so it's no wonder that code has been
removed since then :-)