Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 20:30:14 +0000 (UTC)

   The "hop methods" are treated quite differently from the normal
   methods, as you can see when you look at the description of the
   variable tramp-multi-connection-function-alist.

Perhaps you can figure out how to treat them differently internally,
but to make them look similar to a plain user.

As a user, I cannot see why connecting to fencepost and titan
separately should require different methods than connecting to
fencepost and titan together.

>From the IP address I am using right now, I can connect to each
individually (or will be able to when the bugs are fixed); but from
other IP addresses, I can connect directly to fencepost but then will
have to make a hop to get to titan.  In both cases, I expect to use
the same method to get to fencepost.  I think it really odd that I, a
user, should have to remove the mimencode info from the one connection
and include it in the other.  Emacs itself should be able to say;
`oh, I don't need this extra info that the user provided me; I will
throw it away'.

How about filtering "hop methods" so that internally, in the
appropriate context, `smx' becomes `ssh' ?

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com