Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: 21 Jun 2002 16:45:33 +0900

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> > If not already possible, I think it would be really nice if the
> > "remote-method-alist" allows the specification of abbreviations,
>
> Why not just use (setenv "X" "/some/complicated/file/name/here")?
> Then you can type C-x C-f $X/foo RET.

That's how I generally do `personal' abbreviations.

But in the case of a remove path, I'd like to be able to still use a
consistent naming scheme for remote addresses -- even ones with hair
paths -- and have them reflected in the filenames tramp treats as
canonical.

So if tramp requires `/foo|address@hidden|address@hidden/spec' to reach my
directory at gnu.org, It would be nice to be able to just say `/gnu.org:/'
-- and also have it show up that way after completion, in buffer lists,
etc.

I think that remote paths are _often_ hairy, and so deserve some
special treatment to make them more manageable.

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?