Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:29:38 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I'm probably biased, but with ido, I read file names one
> character at a time, and consider a / to be a separator
> between path components.  With tramp, that assumption
> is no longer true.  Of course, I can program around
> it, but I still think / is a bad choice.  What's wrong
> with a : ?

Tramp used to use a different filename format:

    /r:address@hidden:/path/to/file

I think with a method, it looked like

    /r:address@hidden:/path/to/file

but I don't quite remember anymore.  With that filename format, there
were two problems:

(1) On Microsoft Windows (hi, Bob :-) Emacs got easily confused
    between Tramp filenames and drive letters.

(2) The "/r:" prefix looked like an Ange-FTP filename.  On XEmacs,
    EFS (their equivalent of Ange-FTP) is activated quite often, so
    some EFS functions were advised to abstain from handling Tramp
    filenames.  I think there was also a problem with Emacs, but I
    forgot what it was.

With the "[]" filename format, I had problems with
file-expand-wildcards (which are solved now).

The lesson I learned from this is that it is very difficult to create
a filename format without problems.  Regardless of the choice, there
will be problems somewhere.  Of course, it could be just me...

I'm not against trying a different filename format, but I would be
really thankful if somebody else could help me test it, please.  It
would be useful to test it on the four combinations of Emacs/XEmacs,
Unix/MS Windows.

kai