Re: minicolor.el --- place a face on the minibuffer prompt

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: minicolor.el --- place a face on the minibuffer prompt
Date: 24 Dec 2001 16:49:05 +0900

> I think we should try to put some attributes by default on the
> minibuffer prompt, because that will help show where the prompt ends
> and the contents begin.  As long as the attributes are not annoying
> or inconvenient, they will be beneficial.  So the question is, what
> attributes would not be annoying or inconvenient?

One possibility is to use the same colors that comint uses for prompts,
which are fairly balanced, I think (note that they're different on light
backgrounds and dark backgrounds).  They're different enough to stand
out clearly, but are not so striking as to overwhelm the user's input;
when I tried using bold for the prompt, my eye definitely kept being
drawn to the prompt.

You can try it out by doing:

(setq minibuffer-prompt-properties
      (plist-put minibuffer-prompt-properties 'face 'comint-highlight-prompt))

[you may have to do (require 'comint) first]

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."