Re: [emacs-bidi] Getting started with Emacs BiDi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Getting started with Emacs BiDi
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 00:07:19 +0300

> From: Ze'ev Clementson <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:35:28 -0700
>
> It took me a little while to figure out how to turn on bidi and use it
> to input Hebrew in Emacs 24. It wasn't hard to figure it out, but it did
> require some investigative work.

Did you find anything that is not already in the manual?

>   (if bidi-display-reordering
>         (progn
>               (setq bidi-display-reordering nil)
>               (inactivate-input-method))
>       (setq bidi-display-reordering t)

There's no need to turn bidi-display-reordering on and off.  You can
turn it on by default and leave it that way.  Typing plain L2R Latin
text should look the same with bidi-display-reordering non-nil as it
was before Emacs 24 (barring bugs).  I know a few people who actually
run Emacs 24 like that, even though they don't read any bidi script,
and I've heard no complaints from them for quite some time, so doing
that should be pretty safe.

>       (if arg
>               (setq bidi-paragraph-direction 'right-to-left)
>         (setq bidi-paragraph-direction nil))

Likewise, toggling bidi-paragraph-direction doesn't make much sense,
IMO.  This is a per-buffer variable, so once you've set it to R2L,
presumably because the buffer should display mostly R2L text, it
should stay that way.  It's not like this variable has effect only on
the current paragraph.  And in another buffer, the value will be
unaffected by any changes in other buffers.

> Does anyone else have any elisp snippets that they've found useful
> when working with bidi and/or hebrew?

I basically just use "C-\" to switch into the Hebrew input method, and
that's all.

What else is missing that you'd like a snippet for?