Re: [Duplicity-talk] --archive-dir is growing in size, how can I reduce

From: Alex Cartwright
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] --archive-dir is growing in size, how can I reduce it?
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:51:57 +0000

On 10 December 2011 11:29, Chris Poole <address@hidden> wrote:
> If this is taking up too much space for you, feel free to remove it. Just
> remember that on next backup, the relevant metadata files will have to be
> pulled
> from the remote host before the backup can be made.
>
> If the time and data transferred this requires isn't unreasonable for you
> (perhaps it's a backup done at night), then simply write a quick script to
> remove the local cache directory after the backup.

I've just tried removing the cache directory, and just backed up
again. Unfortunately the cache directory returned at the same size.

> How big is each full backup, and the average incremental backup after that?

This depends. I don't simply run 1 command for my backups and be done,
it's several and they are all stored in different locations within my
Amazon S3 bucket. Right now one of my largest domains that I'm backing
up consists of 45 100MB vol files, with incrementals varying between <
1KB to a few 100MB vol files (depending on how much data was added of
course)

> That doesn't sound unreasonable to me, really. I mean, 1TB drives are fairly
> cheap these days.

Unfortunately for those with our heads in the cloud, 1TB would cost an
arm and a leg.

I've just noticed something strange, though, whilst running the
command manually instead of via cron I get the following output which
would imply it can not remove the older files, which would be
increasing my metadata size, correct?

> There are backup set(s) at time(s):
> Sun May 22 19:42:19 2011
> Mon May 23 03:00:02 2011
> Tue May 24 03:00:03 2011
> Wed May 25 03:00:02 2011
> Thu May 26 03:00:02 2011
> Fri May 27 03:00:02 2011
> Sat May 28 03:00:02 2011
> Sun May 29 03:00:03 2011
> Mon May 30 03:00:03 2011
> Tue May 31 03:00:02 2011
> Wed Jun  1 03:00:03 2011
> Thu Jun  2 03:00:03 2011
> Fri Jun  3 03:00:03 2011
> Sat Jun  4 03:00:02 2011
> Sun Jun  5 03:00:04 2011
> Mon Jun  6 03:00:04 2011
> Tue Jun  7 03:00:03 2011
> Wed Jun  8 03:00:05 2011
> Thu Jun  9 03:00:02 2011
> Fri Jun 10 03:00:03 2011
> Sat Jun 11 03:00:05 2011
> Sun Jun 12 03:00:04 2011
> Mon Jun 13 03:00:03 2011
> Tue Jun 14 03:00:02 2011
> Wed Jun 15 03:00:02 2011
> Thu Jun 16 03:00:03 2011

I have my scripts to create a full back up every month, and to remove
older files after 6 months. As you can see, May and June should be
deleted.

Kind regards
Alex