Re: [Duplicity-talk] --archive-dir is growing in size, how can I reduce

From: Chris Poole
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] --archive-dir is growing in size, how can I reduce it?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:32:33 +0000

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Alex Cartwright
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I've just tried removing the cache directory, and just backed up
> again. Unfortunately the cache directory returned at the same size.

Yes, it will do. Now, erase the local cache. (i.e., erase it after the backup
job.) The only reason the local cache exists is to save you time and data, by
avoiding having to transfer the metadata from the remote host before each
backup.

>> How big is each full backup, and the average incremental backup after that?
>
> This depends. I don't simply run 1 command for my backups and be done, it's
> several and they are all stored in different locations within my Amazon S3
> bucket. Right now one of my largest domains that I'm backing up consists of 45
> 100MB vol files, with incrementals varying between < 1KB to a few 100MB vol
> files (depending on how much data was added of course)

> I have my scripts to create a full back up every month, and to remove older
> files after 6 months. As you can see, May and June should be deleted.

What command do you run to erase the old backups?

I would recommend you run the following:

    duplicity remove-older-than 6M --force
    duplicity cleanup --extra-clean --force

(Ensure that `--force` is used when removing the files, otherwise they'll just
be listed.)

Cheers

Chris Poole
[PGP BAD246F9]