Re: The company that wants to contribute (was Re: [Duplicity-talk] Versi

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: The company that wants to contribute (was Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.07 Released)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 17:48:17 +0100

Well said. Good will does not replace binding contracts (which a license is).

For my thesis in 2004 I had to research licensing as well and do generally feel competent in the matter. As with any legal problem nobody at any time knows all the answers and one must read through all the text, often repeatedly and even more often use a dictionary to grasp the actual meaning. But I am sure everybody can conquer this stuff. Especially with the help of websites as

http://www.opensource.org/
http://www.fsf.org/

Eventually to state my point of view. Until now duplicity was and is again licensed GPL2+ . This ensures mainly that is stays open and additions as well as derived works* have to oblige to the GPL2+ conditions. Meaning it ensures that third parties cannot act vampire like but have to contribute their enhancements and changes, if they do any.

Regarding duplicity I see a currently licensed code, that can't be relicensed without consulting all contributors of non-trivial code that is still in the code base. Usually, especially for older projects this is impossible. The other approach would be (Ken mentioned it) to rewrite portions of not reachable/willing contributors. My point here is that the GPL2 is enforcing the open source idea. Duplicity and its users only have advantages from that and where is the back draw in the fact that companies modifying duplicity are legally forced to publish their modifications?

Also an LGPL'd project is perfectly enabled to use duplicity, if they do not derive from it* . Only if they modify duplicity they have to publish these modifications. And wasn't this Ken's reason to switch first hand?

I also agree to Greg's point. If any such questions arise a counseling with fsf or the like, if only in the mailing lists really brightens up the developers perspective.

Pfuh .. sorry for being boring, it's so easy to get agitated. Very kind regards .. Ede

* meaning using it librarywise or link against it, (re)using it in a shell script or through command line does _not_ fulfill this criteria - ergo ftplicity and deja dup can have the license of their choice