Re: Re[2]: [DotGNU]Qt Theming being a GPL violation

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [DotGNU]Qt Theming being a GPL violation
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 06:55:15 +1000

On Monday 21 June 2004 06:53 am, Maciek Plewa wrote:
> RW> However, putting the Qt themer in a separate assembly, as I believe
> that you RW> have done, should be OK.  Then, the GPL transitivity will only
> apply if RW> someone turns the Qt themer on.  If they don't turn it on,
> then everything is RW> as it is now.
>
> Can you add the Qt themer to CVS as e.g. dotgnu-pnet/pnetlib-qt ?

There is no need to distribute the assembly separately.  As long as it is not
turned on by default, then it does not "link" against the rest of pnetlib
until the user take's an explicit action.  Mere aggregation of libraries with
different licenses does not cause problems.  That's the "if GPL software is
in the same room, then you will get infected" FUD myth.

Cheers,

Rhys.