[DotGNU]Qt Theming being a GPL violation

From: Simon Guindon
Subject: [DotGNU]Qt Theming being a GPL violation
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:33:17 -0400

Hello all, thanks to everyone who has tried the themer and have given me feedback on how it worked out.  Also thanks to Gopal for adding the things I needed to CVS.

I read the log from the meeting last night and I see some issues have been brought up.  Apparently including Qt software into pnetlib can cause GPL violations.  Gopal suggested we talk about it on this list and try and come to some sort of a conclusion.

I don't know much about licenses but my goal for all this themer stuff was to make the end users experience as integrated and seamless as I could in an automatic way.  If you were in KDE, you got the Qt themer, if you were in gnome, GTK themer, windows, XP themer etc.  Some discussion was mentioned it might have to be a seperate package that users have to install.  That kind of defeats the purpose if pnetlib is to be put into distro's because nobody would have that integration.

As I said, I don't know much about licenses but if thats how it is legally, then theres not much I can do obviously, but theres some unsure talk if that is the issue at all, because if a user builds a non-gpl app, its not really linking to qt itself, pnetlib is,which is GPL'd.

 QtThemer (GPL) => SWF (GPL + LE) => App (nonGPL)

I would really appreciate some feedback from the big wigs in dotgnu on this subject or from anyone else that has an opinion.  I really want to make this automatic for end users if possible but if it can't, it can't.

Take care and thanks in advance,
Simon