Re: Plans for ahead

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 09:31:02 +0100

Hi Greg,

I prefer to stay out of such discussions normally, but have to reply to two of
your points. If you reply, please don't add me as a recipient, reply to list
should do.

On the road

Am 29.11.2015 um 07:53 schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com>:

> 5) Missing features in GNUstep itself: Printing, after 20 years, is
> still not complete.  This is something various people, including
> myself, have worked on in the past to make it somewhat passable.
> Issues with this are partly related to the backend.   We currently
> generate postscript directly.   I am wondering if it would not be
> possible to sidestep this approach and write directly to a Cairo
> surface.... discussion should open on this as I will not cover the
> complete topic here.

On cairo we actually use a PDF surface and I am a bit frustrated that you don't
know this and don't check before posting. The positioning and splitting into
separate pages still needs to be done in GNUstep code and there seem to be some
inconsistencies. Feel welcome to address them.

> 6) Lack of support for Wayland.   While this is not high on the list
> (it is #6 guys) it is something that, if we had taken the initiative
> in the beginning, we would have been one of the first adopters of it
> and that in and of itself would have gotten us some attention.

For years now I have suggested to work on a Wayland backend as soon as somebody
takes over normal development and support on gui and back. Getting an initial
implementation working should be a matter of just a few days, getting all
functionality fully correct takes much longer.
This is similar to the opal backend, which I am actually working on in the
moment, in that we have something basic there, but nobody would want to use it
in that state.

Cheers
Fred