Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 07:34:14 +0000

On 29 Jan 2015, at 09:10, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

> Different worlds ... on FreeBSD that's roughly 2:1 cmake to autotools, but I
> guess it looks different in non-bsd systems.

No.  This is the FreeBSD *ports* collection (i.e. third-party code, most of
which originated on Linux and other *NIX systems).  KDE is not a FreeBSD
project, for example, neither is MySQL.  According to OpenHub, CMake has 129
developers - that's more people working on *a build system* than on GNUstep.

Rather than build on their work, we continue to maintain something that:

- Conflates configuration with building.

- Locks you into a single build mechanism (no XCode project generation, for
example, so I have to maintain two build systems for anything that I want to
use with GNUstep and Cocoa).

- Has no well-defined extension mechanism.

- Has no uses outside of the GNUstep ecosystem.

David

-- Sent from my Cray X1