Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 21:22:55 +0100

> Am 31.01.2015 um 16:08 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>:
>
> Hi,
>
> David Chisnall wrote:
>> Aside from GNUstep itself, there are very few projects using autoconf and
>> GNUstep Make and for GNUstep the autoconf code does a load of redundant
>> work, takes longer to run than the entire build, and doesn't properly inject
>> itself into the generated dependency graph, so you end up having to gmake
>> distclean periodically to get it to work, and when it does rerun itself it
>> forgets all of the configuration options and you end up with a broken build.
> yes, that is a bug in gnustep.make. configure caches its option in
> "config.status".
> So, if configure changes, one should run:
> ./config.status --recheck && ./config.status
>
> since gnustep make is broken, I have grown that command in muscular memory
> and retype it before make tries to.

FWIW, gnustep-make isn't broken. In fact gnustep-make Makefiles do not have
anything built into them to rebuild their makefiles when configure has changed.
The problem is that the makefiles of gnustep-base, gnustep-gui and gnustep-back
are broken. The Makefile from gnustep-make itself, by the way, is okay. It will
execute exactly the sequence mentioned above when configure was updated.

Wolfgang