Re: Chromium embedded, a shortcut for webkit?

From: Kevin Ingwersen
Subject: Re: Chromium embedded, a shortcut for webkit?
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 11:53:38 +0200

I have. And I have a LOT of experience with it.

CEF is quite useful and great, but please keep a few things in mind:

- The concept of CEF is to be wrapped around an application. It must run in the main thread and also can either embed itself into an existing loop.
- It acts as a layer ontop of all the Chromium components - it is NOT a direct way to access webKit, v8 or the like! You keep using an abstraction, such as CefApp, CefBrowser, CefRenderProcess, etc, etc…

Besides. Running CEF on Windows requires you to use HWNDs, not NSViews. Although, I am considering working on my own little „Cef-like“ thing, called the Phoenix Engine. This one will be able to just use a GL view, and inherits FLTK to use windows and the like. This will then really be a shortcut. In fact; if you use libchromiumcontent, it offers you direct access to WebKit.

https://github.com/brightray/libchromiumcontent

The resulting distributiont hat you create contains a LOT of underlying header files that make up to work with the embedded WebKit (Well, „blink“ actually).

So if you have questions about CEF or libchromiumcontent, let me know; I am using it myself for projects! :)

BTW, I was intending to create an ObjC API for this. (PEWindow, PEView, …).