Re: Gorm thoughts for the future...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Gorm thoughts for the future...
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 12:09:46 +0200

Hi,

as one of your avid and faithful gorm users since yars, I think I need to comment!

Gregory Casamento wrote:
One more...

Layed inspectors
JUSTIFICATION: Currently an inspector in Gorm functions like those in IB2.0... XCode/IB3.0 inspectors are "layered" that is to say they are built up based on the inspectors for classes which are subclasses of a given class of which an instance is being edited... i.e. when editing a button, you get an inspector for NSButton, NSControl, and NSView since these are the subclasses of NSButton. You get them layered on top of one another. so that you have all options available to you. This is something which is needed in Gorm since I have to typically stuff all of the things needed for editing anything into ONE inspector and then reinvent them for any instance of a superclass. Workable, but wasteful and doesn't promote reuse.
Of all your suggestions, I think that's the most welcomed one! Although the current situation is acceptable, we miss several options here and there for several controls and view. The best way is thus to make inspectors more dynamic.

I'd still call for a user-friendly design of the properties, so that it doesn't become some sort of "proprerty list editor": some of the current inspectors are quite tailored to the specific class. Perhaps that could be retained by some kind of override?

Riccardo