Re: ANNOUNCE: Terminal v0.9.5

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Terminal v0.9.5
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 21:50:42 +0200

Hi Jeff,

"Jeff Teunissen" <spamtrap@d2dc.net> wrote in message news:gvitt1$40f$1@odo.d2dc...
> Gregory John Casamento wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > The GAP project has released version 0.9.5 of Terminal.
>
> How about changing the name of GAP's fork of Terminal? The original is
> maintained software, and renaming a fork is generally considered to be the
> right thing to do.
You can hardly name Terminal maintained software. The last release was 0.9.4 and Debian packaged it together with patches from 2005 Nov 25... No doubt Alex did excellent work with it, but the most trivial patches were not applied (makefile stuff, imported headers) as well as the forkpty.
By no means 0.9.5 is a perfect release! But it is also not a fork: a fork happens when functionality diverges, in this case it is really minimal evolution.

I mailed Alex more than once about the fate of Terminal, the idea of importing it into GAP is old (and happened also months ago) and never got a concrete answer. So, to avoid any confusion, I suggested to maintain the same name and even change the release only on the minor number.

Riccardo