Re: GNUMail

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUMail
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:17:16 +0100

Hi,

My other thought was a different UI, maybe something more like GMail?

I guess I am looking for thoughts to enhance GNUMail...

Well, I like GNUMail for what it is, a straightforward application. THis is why it is better than many competing clients. SO I'd rather not see it ruined. On the other hand, GNUMail has many problems: it suffers from serious bitrot and on the other hand several things were never really completed. I speak about the nightly tarballs, which offer quite some improvments compared to the last "pre" release, but are beta-quality. GNUMail tends to crash, it has problems with events (changing mailboxes...) IMAP support is sketchy sometimes. Ludovic blames that some servers are broken, which is probably true, but other clients work around this somehow.

As guidelines for development I'd look at some features Mail.app, Outlook or Thunderbird have, but without complicating the user interface if possible.

Better RTF/HTML support in emails. IN the future, integration with SWK could be very cool.

A spam filter! Spam has become a serious plague.

Better find.

But for the rest, not much to add. It works and some things are better left simple. If anybody is forced to use MS Outlook (not express) then he knows what I fear.

At the end, if you look, apple's Mail stays reasonably simple and it is wonderful so.

Riccardo