Additional languages in GNUstep Make

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Additional languages in GNUstep Make
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:18:20 +0000

Hi,

I'm just about to commit static compilation support to LanguageKit and edlc, and I'd like to be able to support this cleanly from GNUstep Make.

To compile a Smalltalk file to LLVM bitcode, you need to run:

edlc -c -f {smalltalk file name}

This will give you a .bc file. All of these should then be linked together, along with the MsgSendSmallInt.bc file, with llvm-ld, which will run link-time optimisations and then emit object code, which should be linked with the program. Optionally, llvm-ld should be used twice, once to combine all of the bitcode files, then opt should run some additional optimisations, and then llvm-ld should be run again. I will play a bit with the optimiser and see if I can find a sensible set of optimisations to run each time.

My question is, what is the best way of adding support for this to GNUstep Make? I would like to be able to have a line in my GNUmakefiles like:

PROJECT_SMALLTALK_FILES = foo.st bar.st

Since there are some situations where JIT compilation is preferable, it would also be nice if this could either copy the files to the resources folder in the bundle, or statically compile and link them, depending on the value of some other macro, although that's not essential.

David