RE: Suitability for production code?

From: address@hidden
Subject: RE: Suitability for production code?
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:44:57 +0000 (GMT)

----Message d'origine----
De: uce@splook.com
Date: 2008.10.07 19:22
À: <discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>
Objet: Suitability for production code?

This is an overly blunt question, but my timeframes right now are
shorter than I'd like. I've used NeXTstep a bit and Cocoa extensively
but I'm new to GNUstep. A client to whom I cannot sell a Mac, but who
has embraced Linux, has approached me to write the replacement for an
old Windows app - written with Borland's Delphi environment - and I'd
prefer to use an OpenStep derivative this time around. So I have,
literally this week, begun poking at GNUstep. The app is algorithmically
simple - and I have the benefit of being intimately familiar with the
Delphi app, having written it as an employee - but needs to be
bullet-proof.

What I'm really looking for is opinions, anecdotes, etc on how stable
and robust the GNUstep version of Foundation is. I know I'm up to it
because I've already done it, but GNUstep's my unknown. Can I trust this
as the base for a mid-volume server (say 50,000 transactions per day),
heavily threaded with response windows measured in centiseconds, and
uptime that needs to be very close to 100%?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Greg

--
"Harry?" Ron's voice was a mere whisper. "Do you smell something ... burning?"
   - Harry Potter and the Odor of the Phoenix

Nicola Pero and Richard Firth-Macdonald from Brainstorm would be two persons to
contact for precise facts and
figures.

They use GNUstep base for SMS messaging and related services for the top UK
telecom operators.

Their application has a HTML 4.0 CSS compliant web interface, GNUstep
application servers and behind it a very large
Postgresql 8.3 database.

Two months ago, one of the message tables they have for the UK database was
over 64GB, so it can more than handle
large volumes.

For reliability, the GNUstep applications are quite mature and have very few
problems as this is quite stable code.

As far as throughput was concerned, they have had to throttle the applications
to not choke the operators' servers.

A lot will depend on your database, hardware and network combination.

They run systems in-house, for one of the telecom operators in the UK and
another in South Africa. These systems run
24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

The machines in each system are clustered, with load balancers facing the
internet.

Some tricks include batching transactions to improve database performance.

Much of the work at Brainstorm went into network design, security, backups and
administration. I imagine your project
will also be heavy in these areas.

GNUstep will probably be the least of your worries.

Brainstorm has built a successful business around GNUstep. Nicola and Richard
from Brainstorm are both long time
GNUStep supporters and developers.

If you use the Payforit mobile phone payment scheme in the UK, you will have a
good chance that your payment goes
through Brainstorm software.

I would not hesitate in recommending GNUstep and the gnustep developer
community.

Thanks,

Gerold Rupprecht

Note: I have been testing software for Brainstorm.