Re: Suitability for production code?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Suitability for production code?
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:40:11 +0100

On 7 Oct 2008, at 18:22, Gregory Weston wrote:

This is an overly blunt question, but my timeframes right now are
shorter than I'd like. I've used NeXTstep a bit and Cocoa extensively
but I'm new to GNUstep. A client to whom I cannot sell a Mac, but who
has embraced Linux, has approached me to write the replacement for an
old Windows app - written with Borland's Delphi environment - and I'd
prefer to use an OpenStep derivative this time around. So I have,
literally this week, begun poking at GNUstep. The app is algorithmically
simple - and I have the benefit of being intimately familiar with the
Delphi app, having written it as an employee - but needs to be
bullet-proof.

What I'm really looking for is opinions, anecdotes, etc on how stable
and robust the GNUstep version of Foundation is. I know I'm up to it
because I've already done it, but GNUstep's my unknown. Can I trust this
as the base for a mid-volume server (say 50,000 transactions per day),
heavily threaded with response windows measured in centiseconds, and
uptime that needs to be very close to 100%?

Yes, you can trust it - both in terms of performance, and in terms of reliability. :-)

At Brainstorm we use it on a number of highly-critical large-scale installations that have probably done a few billions transactions over the many years of operations
under all sorts of conditions and loads. ;-)

In fact we have been continuously pushing the limits of gnustep-base and invested heavily in its development - especially in terms of performance and reliability. We do run heavy messaging and payment systems and applications on top of it. A large
variety of them. :-)

On the downside, we have been bitten by occasional bugs in unstable releases. Stick with the stable releases for your production systems. The temptation to run stuff from subversion trunk is strong - particularly when there are enhancements that you want in there ;-) - but you must resist. We'd rather backport an interesting patch to a stable release than use an unstable one, and we recommend you do the same. ;-)

Thanks