Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 03:48:07 -0800

On 11 Nov., 12:23, Michael Thaler <michael.tha...@physik.tu-
muenchen.de> wrote:
> On Sunday 11 November 2007, discuss-gnustep-requ...@gnu.org wrote:
>
> > Yes, I agree that a nice slogan can help focus ourselves and others.
> > All the proponents of GNUstep can then use it to explain to others
> > what GNUstep is in just a few words.
>
> Do you seriously think people are using KDE or Gnome because they have nice
> slogans on their website? In my opinion people are using KDE and Gnome
> because they have really nice, well integrated applications like
> KMail/Kontact, Konqueror, Kate, k3b, Amarok, gimp, inkscape, evolution and so
> an. In my opinion Gnustep/Etoile just lacks good applications. There is not
> even a webbrowser. And there is absolutely no point to use Gnustep/Etoile
> with KDE/Gnome applications. From a user point of view it is (mostly)
> irrelevant if Gnustep is the best API out there or not. It's the applications
> that matter.
>
> Greetings,
> Michael

Please read my posting precisely. The purpose of the slogan is to
address the developers who are creating excellent applications that
matter. If they don't believe in a toolkit, they will not create
applications. Since we are talking about how to get more developers on
board, we must of course address them. Don't forget, GNUstep is a tool
for developers. Users don't care how their applications are built as
long as they are good. If we simplify development of applications -
that is the benefit for developers.

And of course nobody is actively reading and learning by heart the
Nokia slogan. But everybody knows that their products are somehow
better than others (but they can't tell facts). Why? Because the
minority who knows the slogan acts accordingly and uses it as a
starting point for their argumentation. That are the rules how
marketing psychology works.

Placing a slogan on a website but ignoring it in our daily activities
is of course useless. This is the reason why we must discuss the
slogan and choose one that we all can accept and believe it is good
one. Yes - it is the same psychological mechanism as a religion. But
we already believe in FOSS and GNUstep. Why not also believe in
GNUstep being the best tool boost ours and others productivity?

If you know what your believe in, you can convince others. If you
don't believe yourself, you have no chance...

Greetings,
Nikolaus