Re: GNUSTEP_USER_CONFIG problem (Windows)

From: Lloyd Dupont
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_USER_CONFIG problem (Windows)
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:07:47 +1000

Actually, I thought it was needed for deployment (esp. for MS- Windows).
 If an was build with C:/GNUstep/System but has to be installed in
D:/GNUstep/System.  But I'm just theorizing here.

Not necessarily ... you can configure so that the location of path are all relative to the config file, and you can configure so that the location of the config file is relative to the base library ... so as long as the executable can find the gnustep-base dll/so, everything will run.

ho......

it would be VERY nice indeed if you could simply put the GNUstep.conf file in the same directory as the dll to be found automatically. That's the way do on .NET for conf file. No need for setting any env var or other. Just put your config file in the same dir as your exe/dlls.

For the make package (ie for developers) things are not so neat/ simple ... we have to assume the base library is not installed yet, and we don't want to have to run a tool linked to a base library binary to locate paths anyway ... which is why we have a standard location for the config file at a fixed point in the filesystem. Arguably we should make this the standard configuration for executables be relative to the base library for ease of deployment of non-developer systems, but on developer systems it makes sense to try and have the make and base packages be as consistent with each other as possible.