Best distribution layout on mingw? (was Re: GNUSTEP_USER_CONFIG problem

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Best distribution layout on mingw? (was Re: GNUSTEP_USER_CONFIG problem (Windows))
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 06:04:39 +0000

On 6 Dec 2005, at 05:33, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 5 Dec 2005, at 23:07, Lloyd Dupont wrote:

Actually, I thought it was needed for deployment (esp. for MS- Windows).
 If an was build with C:/GNUstep/System but has to be installed in
it would be VERY nice indeed if you could simply put the GNUstep.conf file in the same directory as the dll to be found automatically.

You can ... thats' the way (well, a major one of the ways) the new config file system is intended to be used on windows (configure -- with-config-file=./GNUstep.conf).

I've added some documentation for this in the filesystem document in the make package ... needs to be more extensive and polished, but it's a start. I'm also going to try to improve the configure scripts in make and base to try and get them to make better choices about where to put things on windows when you don't explicitly give them instructions with the various options like --with-config-file=

What IS the appropriate directory layout for distributing a gnustep application along with all resources on windows?

I'm guessing we want the config file, the libraries and the executables all in the same location, but it's ok to have other resources in the normal directory hierarchy below that top directory.

If that's the case, the simplest way to do it would probably be to add a script to the make package which would simply move the libraries and executables from their subdirectories to the top level after a normal installation, and generate a GNUstep.conf file in that directory.

Any better ideas?