Re: OT: english

From: Ingolf Jandt
Subject: Re: OT: english
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 22:32:51 +0000 (UTC)

> PS.  I really was being pedantic ... the above is all true for
> 'English' which is what you asked about).  If you actually want
> 'American' then a capital letter at the start of each word is the
> most common convention.

Sorry for abusing the list, but I cannot resist to ask in this context...

A friend of mine who is in America due to his study sent me an e-mail the other
day about his playing scrabble with his professor's family. He filled in the gap
between e__t with yo. He knows this word from The lord of the rings (obviously I
haven't read it often enough, for I could not remember the word). But noone else
believed this word existed.

So, native English speakers: Did you know the word eyot? It means: Small island
in a river (German translation: Werder)

Have a nice day!
  Infolf