Re: Appkit documentation

From: Sašo Kiselkov
Subject: Re: Appkit documentation
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 20:39:03 +0100

First of all: great work! It would be absolutely fantastic to have some library
of documents (electronic or printed, doesn't matter) of pure GNUstep knowledge.
This is one of the important points where a hobby project changes into a serious
development environment.

A remarks on the document (I haven't read all...)

- typo on page 11 (logical page 8), section 4.2 (Loading and Instantiaing
Interface Files):

id MyOwner;
NSNib* myNib;

should have the first letter of 'MyOwner' lowercase, shouldn't it?

- Again section 4.2: before all playing with NSNib I would suggest adding a
section explaining the simple use of -[NSBundle loadNibNamed:owner:] - I prefer
this method before using NSNib, as it avoids having to create all sorts of
instance variables and basically performs the same work, but with less code.
Also, isn't NSNib by any chance an addition of Apple to OpenStep? Because I
don't remember seeing it in the old OpenStep spec.

- Chapter 6 "The view concept": shouldn't capitalization in English be "The View
Concept"? Also, the third word in the first sentence shouldn't read
"applications" instead (as 'multiple' applicationS)?

- Chapter 6, 3. paragraph, 3. sentence doesn't have a space before the initial
word 'NSRect'. Also, I would instead write here 'An NSRect consists of an
NSPoint and an NSSize field,...'.

- Chapter 6, 3. paragraph: "a mathematical coordinate system". To be precise,
it's a Catersian coordinate system. But that's just a tiny detail.

- Chapter 6: add details about how to do the things which other graphical
systems don't usually have, like origin translation, coordinate system
transformations (e.g. make the view and all drawing in it appear horizontally
squashed), rotation, view flipping etc.

- Chpater 7: the last word of the first sentece should read "views", shouldn't
it?

Well that's all the comments and details I've found so far. Please keep up the
great work! :-)

--
Saso