Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep

From: Cody Brimhall
Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:39:30 -0800

On 11/10/05, Rogelio Serrano <rogelio.serrano@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 Nov 2005 01:06:00 GMT, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > John Davidorff Pell <jpell.lists@mac.com> wrote:
> > > Part of the problem with GNUstep, and almost every Free/Open
> > > application, is that there is almost never a major release in the
> > > same sense as a major release of a closed-source commercial program
> > > that works. [...]
> >
> > I think you're being far too kind to closed-source commercial programs.
> > Most of them are just as bad at releasing. They just release to fewer
> > people, for the most part.
> >
> > On the positive points, I agree that releasing large version numbers,
> > (x or x.y form) would help attract users, especially if most user
> > application developers commit to supporting those releases as long
> > as reasonable.
> >
> > I don't think you can compel more developers or rule out bugs, though.
> >
> > --
> > MJR/slef

>  Hmmm
>
>  I beg to disagree. Realeasing early and often seems better.

List-

Especially with regards to a project as incomplete as GNUstep.
Several of the main GNUstep packages haven't even reached a 1.0
version, so a lot of very useful development would be missed by the
masses if they were to wait for less frequent "jumbo" releases.

Which actually  reminds me of a somewhat tangental thought:  is anyone
putting any work right now towards a graphical installer?  Wouldn't
need to do much more than run GNUstep-Startup.  The Startup script
greatly eased the process of installing GNUstep, but a graphical
installer would make it all the more aproachable.

Sorry, though.  This is getting off-topic.

-Cody