Re: Graphical Installers [was Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep]

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Graphical Installers [was Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep]
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:53:48 +0100

On 2005-11-11 23:08:35 +0800 Chris B. Vetter <chris.vetter@gmail.com> wrote:

On 11/11/05, Rogelio M. Serrano Jr. <rogelio@smsglobal.net> wrote:
I really dont think an installer ala M$I is necessary. I dont like
installers at all. I hate wizards too.
[...]
Resistance is futule.
--
cBORGv
Sorry, couldn't resist....

Of course majority wins. what can i do?

Tell the audience how you'd tackle the installation task without an installer and what you hate so much about wizards?

Personally, I've seen very bad and very good wizards. The bad ones don't allow me to set up things the way I want or chocke on my not-100%-standard situation.

Good wizards (the one coming with Azureus, for example) are like a step-by-step guide to get the setup. They comment with hints on what the developers consider as reasonable values and might even have some tools integrated to explore what one needs to know to do a thoughtful decision. They accept any possible value, however.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/