Re: GNUstep.conf

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: GNUstep.conf
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 09:21:11 +0800

Chris B. Vetter wrote:
On 11/3/05, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 03.11.05 um 10:44 Uhr schrieb Chris B. Vetter:

Hello @list,
has anyone tried to bend the settings of GNUSTEP_XXX_ROOT such that
the GNUstep folders reflect the folder structure of OS X?
That is, for example instead of .../Local/Applications/ and
.../System/Applications/ just have ONE .../Applications/ (one
.../Library/ and so on).
Would there be any (negative) implications if you'd do so?

I am for keeping the different domains (user, local, network) if you
ask me (did you?) since it allows a fine grained supply of
applications. As Einstein said: "make it as simple as possible but not
simpler"

For clarification: I do/did NOT ask to have /Local and /System
officially removed.

I figured that since there is a system-wide GNUstep.conf that sets
GNUSTEP_XXX_ROOT, it would be an idea to play around with a more
OSX'ish setup -- on a personal setup.
After all, I guess that's (sortof) what GNUstep.conf is for, right? :-)

The question would be, IF you do that, what the implications would be.
As Alex P. already pointed out, some developers hard-code paths (baaad
idea) but other than that, is there anything else? Basically, does
GNUstep itself rely on a specific file/folder structure?

Frankly, I do not see a real point in having /Local/Applications AND
/System/Applications. There IS a point, however, with respect to
/Network/Applications.
But as Yves points out, having several Applications folder (local to a
particular machine) is kinda awkward.

On a side-note, since a user can use ~/.GNUstep.conf it would also be
possible to mimick the OSX'ish user home folder structure.

When I first wrote the conf system I posted about variations, including a very MacOS-X style option.

GNUstep-core will work with that layout. I even modified NSUserDefaults so that you didn't have to have a ~/GNUstep but could have ~/Library, ~/Applications and so on.

There is more to be done but it's entirely usable if you wish to configure both SYSTEM and LOCAL to be "/".

Where you start to run into trouble is apps which don't abide by the recommended practice and some difficulties with -make if you didn't properly configure it.

Regards,
Sheldon