Re: GNUstep.conf

From: Graham J Lee
Subject: Re: GNUstep.conf
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:27:05 +0000

On 4 Nov 2005, at 10:43, Dirk Olmes wrote:

I am for keeping the different domains (user, local, network) if
you ask me (did you?) since it allows a fine grained supply of
applications. As Einstein said: "make it as simple as possible but
not simpler"

Could you elaborate on this ? An example, perhaps ?  I always say it
rather awkward to have three Applications Folders.

Let me chime in here ...

Back in the 90s I worked for a shop that used OpenStep boxes as
workstation for developers. Primary goal was the exchangeability for local workstations, i.e. if a machine went broke (which mine did several times),
you'd loose only what was on your local harddrive.

That's where the different domains for Apps (Libraries, Frameworks) came in handy: install OpenStep on the workstation, including WO-Dev. All the
other apps you'd need for developing came from /Network/Applications,
which was NFS-mounted to each machine.

Same here, I have a network of Macs having had a network of NeXTs before. On the Macs, the clients are *all* generic installs with the developer tools added, and as Dirk says, any app which won't play ball (grrrs @ Maplesoft). There's then a /Network/Applications on the fileserver and any apps which one person wants and I don't think need to be supported go in ~/Applications. I did the same with the NeXTs, you then can repurpose any workstation by moving it to a different desk (and possibly playing with some network config settings) without having to worry that certain apps may or may not be installed. Similarly if something dies, just whip another machine out of the cupboard and it's already set up correctly.

Cheers,

Graham.