Re: D-BUS versus GDOMAP (WINDOWS users please note)

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: D-BUS versus GDOMAP (WINDOWS users please note)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:44:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Rogelio Serrano wrote:

> > IMO what would be good would be to write a proxy class to
> > handle security
> > issues over DO (a server would only vend these proxies rather
> > than vending
> > objects directly), and write easy to use gui and command line
> > tools for
> > configuring policy and security tokens for applications.  The
> > NSConnection
> > class could then be trivially modified to check that, when
> > setting a root
> > object for the connection, the object was an instance of the
> > security proxy
> > class.

> Hmmm... DTE? Amoeba like capabilities? A user space security
> server? Selinux?

The World Is Not A Linux Box(tm). You're suffering from this shortsighted
view of the world, so I will remind you gently that GNUstep needs to run
properly under many non-Linux environments. D-BUS' ultimate goal /is/ to
be cross-platform. It also integrates with SELinux, so once again your
idea is in no way unique, and I urge you to not to do such a perposterous
thing. D-BUS has no dependencies. You are mistaken. Read the website at
http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus where it states this in a
sentence in no uncertain terms.