D-BUS versus GDOMAP (Was: D-BUS equivalent)

From: Alex Perez
Subject: D-BUS versus GDOMAP (Was: D-BUS equivalent)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:49:05 -0700

Rogelio Serrano wrote:

is DO similar to d-bus? Or can we implement something like dbus using DO?

D-bus is basically "DO Done Right" (with a proper authentication mechanism and significantly more focus on security. I've suggested a few times in #GNUstep (and maybe here on the list as well, check the archives) that we replace gdomap with it, since it's a lot more secure, more generally accepted as "canonical", has a much larger userbase, is a Freedesktop.org spec/app, meaning that Those Other Desktops(tm) will eventually use it (and quite possibly Xorg itself at a future date (after 6.8 is released, for sure)

In any event, with alexm's default set, you do not need gdomap running for local-host DO (you only need it for inter-host DO) Personally I think that should be the default, but I'm relatively convinced that Richard Frith-McDonald would disagree with me on that point.

If anyone agrees that gdomap should be disabled by default (keeping in mind that functionality is not lost for intra-host DO, and only for inter-host DO) please voice your opinion on the matter here. IMHO, gdomap shouldn't be required to simply run a GNUstep app, since this creates problems with setup of the environment that cause potential converts to scurry into the underbrush before we can feed them the Kool-Aid.

Richard, I'd also appreciate it greatly if you'd give us your opinion on the matter. As far as I understand it, with alexm's default set right now, inter-host DO is still possible but you have to explicitly say you want it.

Cheers,
Alex Perez
SideSTEP Dude