Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:34:01 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 22.10.03, um 10:33 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Chad Hardin:
On Tuesday, October 21, 2003, at 09:21 PM, Philip Mötteli wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 22.10.03, um 08:51 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Chad Hardin:
I see GNUstep a little differently than most of the GNUstep developers; I see it as a opportunity to create a desktop system which people will actually want to use, not be forced to.

Actually, this is really your own point of view, not the one officially defining Gnustep. Though I like that one. I'm just afraid, that people want to use, what they are used to. And this is not LinuxSTEP. Unfortuantely.

i am seeing a relatively large move to OS X, because of it's UI. I like OS X a lot and use it everyday, but the hardware is fairly expensive,

Exactly the reason, why I want to exchange it with Linux.

I think there is room for improvement in this arena and I would like to fill that gap with a GNUstep based Desktop OS.

Great idea! But perhaps too great. If you want, that your system would be used by only 1% of the computer users, you're probably already reaching much to high up. So, what I propose, instead of offering such a (great!) system, which is used only by very few people, I would first try to introduce Gnustep for something, where it would be more easely adopted: As a great cross-platform library. Offering the greates persistence and Web libraries so far.

2. Many programs do not use AppKit. E. g. servers and Web-programs.

I know, there is a shortage of GNUstep apps, but you gotta admit that a LOT of progress has been made this year!

The hugest prograss is having WOF: GDL2 and GSWeb.

(My programmer mind is not really good at being a linguist)

:-)

I also think there is going to be much more interest in GNUstep in 2004.....

You have me wondering… What are you thinking of?

i'm making SimplyGNUstep

Nice, but how is the compatibility to the other managers like KDE? Unfortunately, most of the programs I use, are made for Gnome or KDE.

Re
Phil