Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:30:28 +0200

Hi,

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 11:34  Uhr, Philip Mötteli wrote:
2. Many programs do not use AppKit. E. g. servers and Web-programs.

I know, there is a shortage of GNUstep apps, but you gotta admit that a LOT of progress has been made this year!

The hugest prograss is having WOF: GDL2 and GSWeb.

This is your opinion. There are others, of course.

Besides it is funny that you mention these 2, as they are not part of OpenStep at all, while in another mail you wrote:

Actually, you got exactly the point here: It's an API. It's the API called OpenStep. It's actually not a desktop, nor a filemanager, nor a project management tool, nor anthing else (though some programs are needed to be there, in order that this API makes sense, like pb-server). Because we it's "only" an API, we have it also on Windows.

No, we do not have it on Windows, we have only parts of it working on Windows, maybe we will have it at some point in the future. Maybe not. So much about cross-platform API.

Moreover, how can an API only make sense if it requires tools like pb-server? This indicates to me that it actually is more than an API.

You have me wondering… What are you thinking of?
i'm making SimplyGNUstep
Nice, but how is the compatibility to the other managers like KDE? Unfortunately, most of the programs I use, are made for Gnome or KDE.

Are you using them because you have no better alternative or are you using them because they perfectly fit your needs?

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip