Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:41:26 -0600

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 01:22 AM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

But to remain at least a little on-topic allow me to ask this question (as a simple user resp. programmer who needs to decide whether to use it or not): where will the GNUstep project be within 12 months (which will be more or less GUI 1.0)? What is the (realistic) roadmap for the GNUstep project anyway?

Well I've thought about that question a lot, obviously, but I don't have a really good answer. Most of my goals revolve around the concept of the GNUstep Desktop. That is, I can have a lot of individual goals about the GNUstep development platform, but it's hard to know what's really important without a consensus of what the "reference" GNUstep Desktop would look like. Will it be "all GNUstep", with our own Window Manager, or do we need to give up our small town mentality and try to integrate better with KDE and/or Gnome. What are the really important things that people want to accomplish with GNUstep?

I don't much care which way it goes. I've been working on GNUstep for over 10 years now, and I just keep going for the fun of it, not because I have any aspirations that it will become some wildly popular, unbeatable project. My one hope is that it will be useful before it becomes obsolete :-)

I have a few goals listed on the "Task List" at www.gnustep.org. Let me know if you have any suggestions.