Re: question about GNUstep on Debian/woody

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: question about GNUstep on Debian/woody
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:54:55 -0600

On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 11:37 AM, Joerg Desch wrote:

If I try to start a program (image-viewer, gnumail) from with the windowmaker menu, the xserver (XFree 4.1.0) crashes and restarts immediately. So I've tried to start image-viewer within a xterm shell. I've got the following
error messages (repeated several times):

,----
| 2003-06-26 14:38:37.072 ImageViewer[28372] X-Windows error - \
| BadGC (invalid GC parameter)
|           on display: :0.0
|                 type: 0
|        serial number: 164
|         request code: 57
| 2003-06-26 14:38:37.094 ImageViewer[28372] XGFont: selected font: \
| Helvetica-Bold at nan ((nil)) is not available.
`----

What does that mean?

The type-1 `helvetica' fonst is installed....

One reason I've seen the X server crash is when there are a lot of fonts available and font_cacher tries to read them all. Some X servers don't like that and crash (see http://www.gnustep.org/information/userfaq_1.html#SEC30). That doesn't really appear to be the problem here though. It looks like the font matrix is screwed up. I can only see that happening if somehow one of the font size defaults was corrupt or set incorrectly. You can try

defaults read NSGlobalDomain

to look for defaults with 'Size' in them.  Also try

detaults write NSGlobalDomain GSFontAntiAlias YES

which uses a different font mechanism. Then try to run the app again.