Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control (WAS: Re: deferreddeal

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control (WAS: Re: deferreddeallocation)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:11:57 -0400

From: stefan@wms-network.de
To: "Yen-Ju Chen" <yjchenx@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:36:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

<snip>

>   A well-written test suit can be used for each release
>   to make sure nothing is broken when some other bugs are fixed.
>   Users don't know the result. They just need to report when something
> fail
>   and it will help the developers to discover the bugs.
>   The goal of gnustep-test is to help discover the potential bugs
>   and is easy for everyone to run.
> How well the gnustep-test can detect the bugs depends on how well it is
> written.
>   We can just start some and add more when new bug is discovered.
>   Over the time, it will cover over every details.

i fully agree with the sugestion for testing. i think using a
unit testing framework like ocuint (http://www.sente.ch/software/ocunit/)
would make things even easier. i'm using unit tests at my job
and as long as you are willing to write tests, they really help,
especially when refactoring existing code or fixing bugs.

one thing to remember is (IMHO) that you cannot reach full testing
coverage. but adding a test each time a bug is discovered that will
reproduce this bug will help not to break working code while new bugs
are fixed.

greetings
Stefan

--------

This should go to the list.
By the way, I'm never able to compile OCUnit. Always have problems here or there. There is a GSUnit long time ago, which is simple, but useful for most of the case,
and small to put into GNUstep.
If I need to install OCUnit in order to "gmake test",
I will hesitate to do that as normal user.

Yen-Ju

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected? Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963