Re: Object-Archiv

From: Stefan Böhringer
Subject: Re: Object-Archiv
Date: 07 Jul 2003 09:07:22 +0200

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 17:42, Dirk Theisen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> >> Perhaps I can put into this discussion some experiences gained from
> >> the famous MiscKit that was in place in the NeXTstep/OPENSTEP days.
> > [snip]
> >
> > However, I don't want a library. What I want from this is a informal,
> > indexed collection of random stuff. A short description and a few
> > other pieces of information (license? dependencies?) for each
> > package, and an easy way for me to grab the file(s) so I can use them
> > in my projects.
>
> Yes, please NOT a library. Those always have the problem of being
> either too small (not enough functionality, though not really
> compatible with other libraries) or way too big (MiscKit, Omni
> Frameworks with many dependencies).
Just to let the other opinion be heared. I'm in favour of a library. I
don't think the misckit library is too big. What is in your opinion the
problem with the size of the misckit libs?

IMHO the real leverage comes with a commonly used library since this
will be pruned for bugs and functionality. Consider on the contrary
importing classes into every new project using different versions in
different projects. Maintanance of classes would be much more difficult
than for a library as I see it (no simple cvs commits from your local
project are possible for one thing).

Then again a library should be of good/excellent quality and therefore
classes might hang around individually before being included in a
library (again I would prefer a second-tier lib but that's not
critical).

> Single classes and categories would be very nice. A Wiki could be a
> good way to document and index them. There would be no urgent need for
> a "public" cvs, since you can simply download the two files from the
> web (or copy-paste from the wiki pages).  cvs would of cause be needed
> for maintainers.
cvs/wiki are a boon for distributed internet developement.

Best wishes,

        Stefan