Re: First Impressions of GNUStep

From: Eric Christopherson
Subject: Re: First Impressions of GNUStep
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:28:10 -0500

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 01:33:31AM -0400, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:57:28 +0700
> Banlu Kemiyatorn <id@project-ile.net> wrote:
>
> > So if someone has a reason to use a different workspace manager then
> > they seemingly will have a choice.
>
> This is one approach if the consensus is to allow more than one file
> manager.
>
> > I also think that the app-icon should not be visible at all if no dock
> > is running. (just like os x) but it is just my opinion, i am innocent,
> > don't flame me.
>
> I don't think this is a good idea. If there is not appicon, how can you
> manipulate an app that is hidden or bring up a window of a running
> app that you are not working on currently?

I would just like appicons to respect EWMH struts in their placement. Any
time I run a GNUstep app under KDE, the appicons end up underneath the KDE
panel, and I have to drag them out of there. Besides that, the icons pile up
on top of each other instead of being arranged in a row (which IIRC is how
they arrange themselves under WindowMaker).

On a related note, app menus also seem to start out positioned under KDE's
toplevel menu bar, which gives me no way to move them. So it'd be nice if
those also respected EWMH struts.

--
Furrfu!         r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t