Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:56:01 +0100

On 2003-01-23 13:29:46 +0100 Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:

Yes, it is possible to write and then play ... Have you ever tried

Umm, yes - it sounded horrible :-)

:)

See my previous comments.

Its a difference in philosophy - see also LaTeX vs Word, which is
a far better analogy. Interface Builder just encourages people to put
thought into where precisely the objects should go... when it is the
relationship of those obejcst to each other which is actually important.

Yes, you place the objects to make the UI usable to the user... (read later)

Obviosuly I dont advocate writing an interface wiuthout seeing what it
looks like, that would be ridiculous. But is the dragging and shuffling of
items graphicly that I think is a misatke - because most of the time
that isnt theproblem you are truying to fix. If you want all yoru text
fields left aligned then the solution is to represent that cocnept as such
in the file- not to shuuflle them all over so they happen to line up
visually ? Thats completely the antithesis of object orientated programming.

... then you tell to the 'graphical editor' what is the relationship between
those objects and how they should change their position and size according to
their contents. I do not see the problem of 'specifying that in the file', only
that Gorm cannot do that *at this time*. It can be solved by adding some
information about object placement and relationships into gorm file and apply
it at the time of loading.

If this is not yet implemented in Gorm, it does not mean, that the idea of
visual editing is bad.

Shifting to using Renaissance is the same sort of shift as going from
a Word processor to using LaTeX. But when you are usedto thinkin about
the contnet rather than the appearance it is a lot faster... and there
are big wins in terms of portability; which is where we came in - the
unportability of IB / Gorm files.

I am not going to judge what is better, if word processor or latex, because it
really depends on the work you want to do. Anyway, tex is more desktop
publishing system, and WP is just that what the name says - a word processor.
Two noncomparable applications. But latex is just a way/language of describing
documents. For sure I can bet with you, that with some TeX visual editor you
can get better results... Tex and Renaissance are just languages.

Moreover, you have to take care about appearance and usability more than the
contents when you are designing user interface.

For the portability see my previous comment about keyed archiving and readable
file.

What you really want is a graphical editor for Renaissance files which
allows visuallayout, but using the Renaissance objecst to do it. Then
thats the perfect soution I feel for both parties.

Or take it from other point of view ... I want a way of describing position and
size relationshps between objects in Gorm :)

Stefan